Skip to main content

Help--Sending Out an SOS: Answers!

How Can We Help You?

Common Help Topics

Where Do I Begin with My Research?

When starting to conduct research, there are numerous options, from different sources, and in a variety of formats (print or online). Research guides were created by the librarians at the Gutman Library so that you can get connected to the most appropriate resources provided by the Library, given your area of study or research assignment.

Know What You Want?

To gain access to a library database of article references or full-text sources, go to the database A-Z list.

If you want a specific journal article (you have a citation for an article, i.e., journal name, volume and year), use the Journal List.

If you want to see if the Library owns a specific book, search the Library Catalog.

Not Sure Where to Go?

Find your area of study or subject area of research on the the Research Guides Landing Page.

Librarians are here for you! Contact a librarian who can help you get started on research.

Phone the Reference Desk. 215.951.2848

Send an Email to Us
Find a Subject Specialist in your Field of Study

Obtaining Full-Text Articles Through Library Subscriptions

For full-text articles available freely to university students and faculty, the library databases are the best place to start. Use the Research Guides Landing Page to find databases in a specific subject.

The search results page on these databases will provide either links to the article (i.e., a .PDF document or HTML link), or you will see an icon that will check for full-text availability in other databases. Often, the icon will look like this:

If you click an icon like this one, you will be brought to a page which will either link you to the article in a different database, direct you to a print copy of the article (located in the library), or will indicate that a copy is not available at the library, and to try interlibrary loan.

Obtaining Full-text Articles Using Journal List and Interlibrary Loan

If an article is not available in the database you are using, or if you have a citation (a specific article title from a specific issue of a journal) and would like to find the full text, you must look in the following locations:

JournalList An alphabetical listing of full-text journals found in Gutman Library's electronic databases, e-journal collections, and in print.
PhilaFind The library catalog where you should look for print copies of journals.
Interlibrary Loan Where you should go if you cannot find the full text in JournalList or in PhilaFind. Directions are on this page for how to request articles or books from other libraries.

Connecting to Databases from Off-campus

To access library databases, you must have a Philadelphia University network account. When you are not on campus, you provide your university id and password on an intermediary page, prior to connecting to the database or journal. After this login is completed, you will have full access to the resource.

I Can't Connect

If you have problems accessing a library database from off-campus, contact the Office of Information Resources Technology Help Desk:

Phone. 215.951.4OIT

Email. HelpDesk -at-

Troubleshooting Technology Problems

Technology support (university computer support, university network accounts, software support, virus protection , and connecting to the university's wireless network) is handled by the Office of Information Resources (OIR).

The OIR Web portal, with online guides answering technology questions and solving common technology problems
Methods for Contacting OIR, including a form for submitting assistance from OIR staff

Questions on Library Services and Policies

If you want to know about policies regarding access to the library building and resources (as an alumni or student at another institution), circulation policies, how to obtain a library card, accessing an item a professor has placed on reserve, study rooms, as well as printing and photocopying in the library, you can start by visiting theCirculation and Reserve Services page. If you prefer, you may also contact the public services department at:

Phone. 215.951.2840

If you want to obtain access to an item in the library's special collections, contact the library's head of special collections Stan Gorski.

Writing+Bibliography Assistance

The process of research and the process of writing are interconnected. For comprehensive writing help (understanding an assignment, organizing ideas, generating a thesis, and how to document and use sources, the university has a Learning and Advising Center.

See the Writing + Tutoring Resources Page, for citation style guides and online writing guides

To Contact the Center by Phone to Make an Advising Appointment. 215.951.2799

What I Need Help With Isn't Listed Here

Please contact us...we will be happy to assist you!

Phone. 215.951.2840

Send an Email to Us at reference -at-

Contact the Library

Reference Assistance

Phone. 215.951-2848

Email. reference -at-

Circulation Assistance (Library Services)

Phone. 215.951.2840

Technology Assistance (OIR Technology Help Desk)

Phone. 215-951-4OIT

Email. HelpDesk -at-